The “All Our Children First” foundation was started by Glenda Butler, who is the Executive Director of the non-profit organization. The Foundation was born in 1999, when an HIV-infected baby, Lesedi, came into Glenda’s care. Soon, Glenda was caring for 6 babies under her own roof. The organization has grown, and now operates four different programs to care for and assist children and mothers, many of which have been abused, neglected, or traumatized; or are affected with HIV/AIDS .
The All Our Children Foundation is registered as a Non Profit Organization that operates in terms of its own constitution, with a treasurer overseeing its financial affairs. As the foundation and its responsibilities continue to grow, more external help is needed to help Glenda keep up with the financial, physical and emotional demands of running the organization. The Edenvale community has made significant contributions in this regard, but even further help is needed from outsiders.
There are 4 programs operated by All Our Children First:
- 1. The Residential Care Program
The Executive Director of All Our Children First cares for 7 children in her own home in Edenvale. These children have all experienced need and trauma. They are either adopted by Glenda Butler, or have been placed in her long term care. Unlike, institutionalized care, the children are integrated into a family unit and each attends an appropriate school within the Edenvale community. According to the All Our Children First mission statement, each child is protected, fed, nurtured, and educated.
- 2. The Short Term Crisis Facility
The crisis facility operates 24 hours per day for children and babies in need. The Department of Social Development Social Workers as well as the South African Police Services and other social welfare organizations refer children to the crisis facility, where they are accommodated. The children and babies are often victims of abandonment or abuse.
At the crisis facility, the appropriate emotional and medical care is done and an HIV/AIDS test is carried our privately. Once the needs of the children are assessed before relevant evaluations and recommendations are made.
- 3. The Special Needs Program
A network of professionals has been developed to support the endeavors of All Our Children First. Children are referred to these professionals or other organizations after they have been assessed. Through this program, children who are in trauma or dire need can get the kind of assistance and intervention they need.
- 4. The Self Help and Job Creation Program
The Edenvale community donates clothing and other goods to the organization, leading to a system of baling. The bales are made up regularly and are sold to unemployed mothers registered with All Our Children First. The mothers then have the opportunity to resell the content of the bales at a profit to help to support their children. This system is preferable to simply handing out donation to the mothers, as it offers them initiative and empowerment to maintain their dignity and find a source of income. This program has effectively lessened the numbers of people and children in need, and decreased the amount of beggars in the community of Edenvale by creating employment.
How you can help the “All Our Children First” foundation
- Donate a skill: All Our Children First operates a volunteer program based on the skills of the volunteers. Professional services required include: a fundraising team, cooking, office administration, marketing and public relations, computer instructors, painters, receptionists, drivers, printing services, plumbers, electricians, general handymen.
- Make a financial contribution: Whether you are an individual, company, business, club, group, or organization, we welcome all once-off or monthly financial donations to All Our Children First. No matter how small the sum, every cent counts and is greatly appreciated.
- Make a physical donation: Any nappies, clothing, food, and old toys are also appreciated.
For more information about the foundation, call + 27 11 453-1539 or send an email to email@example.com. You can also contact us via postal service on: Postnet Suite, Private Bag x 10020, Edenvale, 1610.